A partnership project between:
- INSTITUTO DE LA GRASA (CSIC)
Spanish Ministry of Economic Affairs and Competition
Call for applications:
To assess the use of plant-based proteins and hydrolysed vegetable proteins as a replacement for ovoproducts and milk derivatives in whipped doughs used in industrial baking.
The ultimate goal is to completely reduce the animal-based products used in the current formula. The plant-based flours used in the project come from agro-industrial waste suitable for human consumption.
The main goals sought by the research project are:
- To identify a series of proteins and hydrolysed proteins with enough functional capacity to be used as ingredients in the formula of whipped doughs. The aim is to replace ovoproducts 100%.
- To repurpose certain low added value agro-industrial by-products, such as plant-based flours, to obtain hydrolysed proteins of greater added value capable of enhancing the functional properties of the proteins.
- To obtain hydrolysed proteins capable of increasing the antioxidant capacity of the final product.
- To eliminate allergens from the products and pastry lines while also reducing the microbiological risks from handling egg at the factories and in the final product.
- To improve the nutritional value of the processed products and maintain the sensory quality and physio-chemical characteristics of these products.
- To reduce the impact from quality and price variation in the raw material on the uniformity of the final product.